GDE740 - Week 12

Week 12 – Workshop Challenge & Reflection

Outcome and Ambition – How successful was my project outcome? Did my final delivery successfully reach my target audience? What could I have done differently? What did I learn through this process?

Following our research into project evaluations and analysing the success or failure of a project, I’ve written some initial questions for my presentation which I think will help steer my discussion away from a week-by-week analysis of this project and more towards deeper self-reflection and analysis.


Weekly Challenge

You can find my video response to the weekly challenge here.


Explain the story behind the question you have set for this project:

Throughout my first project in this module, I was looking into mental health and was on a difficult and time consuming path, confused with the first project but also passionate about helping people with poor mental wellbeing. Upon reflection, I took away the mental health aspect and decided to take my passion in this subject and utilise that in a new project. When reading the Creative Conscience brief, I knew I wanted to use my understanding of mental health and funnel this into the brief – however, I struggled to find the right narrative. Through utilising my own strengths in social and theraputic horiculture, I began to create a powerful narrative which directed this project.

What changed along the way during this project and why did it change? Is this something you can improve within your own design process?

A lot changed during this project, it’s been a real turning point for my professional development. In terms of the project, I changed direction in weeks 2 and 3, moving away from a vague and uncertain topic and utilising my own skills to create something that had real depth. This change in direction also gave me the ability to take a big step backwards and look at this project with fresh eyes. Fundamentally, I realised a big flaw in my personal design process and I can now recognise that. Hopefully with future projects, I’ll be able to understand that this is a part of my design process and, eventually, this flaw helps my work become more grounded. This “flaw” isn’t something that I’d want to change in my design process, as I believe it gives me the time to step back from a project and look at it with fresh eyes. I found I got completely set on one direction for this brief and did not consider other routes, only when taking a step back did I see the other ideas and was able to make this project a success.

What design changes did you make and why? What made you make these alterations and did you struggle to come to a conclusion?

Through out this process, I made it my aim to continually update and develop the design choices I was making, in order to keep it in line with both app and subscription box. This was a challenge for me, as I needed to ensure there was continuity throughout the branding. I also sent a lot of my design changes to the target audience and industry professionals, meaning I was able to understand what worked from their point of view. This also was a huge step forward for me personally and professionally. A lot of the alterations I made were in terms of typography and colours used. It was my first time really designing an app on Figma, and I wanted to use colours that reflected the project and my moodboards, but also were easy to see and use on the app itself.

Do you think this project was successful in meeting the brief and the question set?

I made a lot of changes along the way, the journey this project has made was not at all straight forward, but I believe that’s what’s made it successful. Through constant tweaks and taking the advice of the professionals interviewed for our research, my project outcome reflected the brief and the question set. The brief was such a wide topic, I felt it was vital to not jsut churn our something that had been done time and again in terms of a mental health app, but offer people who are struggling with mental wellbeing a way to take their mind off their problems and get involved with a hobby which has proven health benefits.

What do you think could be improved or taken further? Do you think your design process and skill set have developed throughout this project?

I’d love to see this product become a reality but, that would be a time consuming and expensive thing to set up initially. If I was being very critical, I’d say this would be the products main downfall – the costs and products you’d need to start up. I believe there is a place for this in the market and I am so passionate about Social and Theraputic Horticulture I will continue my work in this area for a long time. A lot of the feedback along the way was in regards to my app design, which I feel took me a long time to work out what works and what doesn’t. This caused a big delay in the work I was producing and I spent too much time going back and forth over things that should never have been there in the first place – for example if I’d done sufficient research into app design, I would have found that sans serif clean fonts are ideal for apps and I wouldn’t have been going over changing the many different fonts. Again with colours, I changed this a lot, and with the right amount of planning, this wouldn’t have been an issue. Although my personal development in app design is amazing and I’m so proud of what I’ve achieved, I recognise now that when working on something new, like UX/UI design, research is key.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s